The tables have turned as Nick Hancock picks Ryan Spanger’s brain on his approach and philosophy to filming interviews.
Listen to these key points:
* Find out what interview style Ryan have been using lately and why [03:21]. Find out the differences between documentary video and straight to camera, and which Ryan prefers.
* Something you probably don’t know about Ryan. Honing skills [07:11]. Find out how Ryan cultivated his approach to filmmaking in Melbourne.
* How do you know you’re doing a good job? [10:11] Ryan describes the “sparkle” in his subjects eyes and how you can see it for yourself.
* Why so serious? [13:42] Delving into human psychology, we find out why people get nervous when interviewed on camera. The reasons may surprise you.
* Apply the psychological theory practically [19:25]. Taking theory and knowledge and finding out how to use it practically isn’t easy. Find out how Ryan takes his knowledge and research and applies it to interviewing.
* Ryan gets fired up [20:37]. Strong language is dropped when Ryan gets passionate calling out fake people and how to get a real response.
* Judge not lest ye be judged [24:22]. Will your own prejudices and feelings get in the way of a good interview? What should you leave at home and what can help get the best responses when interviewing your subject?
* What the Grock? [28:50] Ryan springs some surprising vernacular on Nick to explain how to connect with people and why this is so important.
* Investing in your subject [29:54]. What do homeless people and prominent Melbourne politicians have in common? Ryan reveals some interesting truths about the human condition.
* Remember this [32:47]. Ryan shares some juicy tips on what to remember when filming an interview. Years of experience being given to you for free. You’re welcome.
* Boiling it down [33:45]. Ryan and Nick sign off with some great final thoughts on what they have discussed. The 3 main ideas of the podcast are broken down, chewed up and fed to your ear-holes like a bird.
Ryan: This is the Web Video Marketing Show Episode 22. I’m Ryan and joined by my co-host Nicko.
Nicko: Hello, Ryan. As you can tell for our listeners at home we’ve got a fair bit of clicking going on in the background because the office is in full swing at the moment, really really busy this week. Got a lot of exciting stuff to share with the listeners as well.
Ryan: Nathan is editing away. Say good day, Nathan.
Ryan: Back to the show. Nicko, I was having a look at our podcast figures today, just getting a sense of who our listeners are and how many people are listening. The show has been going on for a while now with episode 22 which I’m pretty excited about. We’re heading up to a year’s worth of podcast and I have just thoroughly enjoyed doing this. I also just want to say thanks to the listeners for the journey that they’ve come on with us and particularly the people who made contact and asked questions and given us feedback.
I was just looking at the figures and actually I can see that now pretty much the number one group of listeners is based in the United States with Australia as second, United Kingdom coming third and then Canada and then United Arab Emirates. I think quite a few of those listeners in UAE might be my friend James Reynolds so hi there, James. But it’s just interesting to really to see what a global podcast this is, and that although we are based here in Melbourne, Australia, that we have listeners all over the world and how many people are listening in the USA.
Nicko: I think it’s interesting that we see those statistics as they are, Ryan. It’s sort of testament to the fact that here on the Web Video Marketing Show we are trying to give some value to our …