Today, I’ll be taking you through some of my best tips on how to start your video production by choosing the right Melbourne video production company.
Listen to the audio version:
00:50 First Impressions
01:41 Putting Together a Brief
02:38 Warning Bells and Positive Signs
After working in the video production business for over a decade, I’ve noticed that there is a major hurdle that many people struggle with. Choosing the right video production company. This first step can seem daunting and can cause people to put off starting their video productions, or to choose the wrong production company for their needs. This can be stressful and the worst case scenario is you end up with a product you’re not happy with.
In order to help you avoid this, I’ve compiled these simple tips for anyone who is about to begin their video production.
The first step is usually the hardest, so let me take you through the first things to look for when choosing a video production company.
During the initial hunt for a production company, there are some basic questions you should ask yourself.
- Is their website well designed? A poorly designed website might be a sign that the company isn’t professional.
- What are the videos on their website like? If you don’t like the videos the company is using to promote themselves, you most likely won’t be happy with the work they do for you.
- And what organizations has the company worked for? Making sure the company has worked with large, reputable companies can be a good indication of their quality.
Reading case studies and testimonials are a fantastic way to find out how the production company approaches their videos and will let you know which organisations endorse their company.
Putting together a brief for a video
This is a vital part of the initial video production process that might be unknown to first time Melbourne video producers. Creating a production brief helps you communicate to a production company, in simple terms, what you want from your video.
Creating a production brief for, or with, your production company will ensure you are on the same page throughout the entire process. It will cover things like:
- Who is your market?
- What do you want the video to achieve?
- When do you want the video to be ready?
When you are talking to a production company, here are a couple of vital questions to ask them during initial contact:
- How many rounds of changes can I make to the video without incurring additional cost?
- How do you backup and safeguard your work?
So you feel more confident when choosing a Melbourne production company, I’ll also let you in on some of the positive signs and warning bells to look for.
Warning Bells and Positive signs
Before you decide on your video production company, there are few small signals could be the difference between a great business partnership, or a headache.
Some warning signs could be:
- The company doesn’t have any logos for companies they’ve worked for. If they don’t have logos or brand names of clients on their page, this might be a sign that they don’t have professional clients, or the clients weren’t happy with their work.
- They have no background knowledge of your industry or needs. If they don’t know your industry, the video they produce may be generic and boring.
- They spend a lot of time talking and not asking you questions. If they don’t know exactly what you want, they won’t deliver the product you want.
Some good signs to look out for are things like:
- They have case studies, from recognizable Melbourne organizations.
- They present an impressive range of examples of videos that solve challenges similar to yours.
- They use video production in their own marketing… kind of like this video.
For more great information to help you to start your Melbourne video production, I have compiled many tips like this in an Insider’s Guide to Choosing the Right Production Company. It’s available to download for free in .pdf form.