In this weeks news update, I’ll talk you through the untapped potential of creating video for LinkedIn profiles.
Listen to the audio version:
00:10 “Massive Untapped Potential”
00:32 Personal Profiles
01:08 Business Profiles
01:30 How To Do It
LinkedIn recently changed the way videos can be hosted on their site, effectively streamlining the way in which you can add videos on to your personal or business profile page.
While the story of a huge social network adding better video support on their site wouldn’t make most people think twice, it actually highlighted a bigger story:
The massive, untapped potential of video on LinkedIn.
Linkedin is the best B2B online social network, with 225 million professionals using the site. But most people are creating stale and dull profiles. This has lead to many people I know creating a page, but never doing anything with it or forgetting about it altogether. A big reason for this lack of engagement seems to be the distinct lack of videos on personal and business profile pages. This seems crazy for an online social media site, because these days video is expected by social media users.
This creates enormous potential for anyone developing video content for their personal or business profiles to get the attention and engagement that other profiles are clearly lacking.
Let me take you through some of the potential that video has to help your profile stand out from the dull text and static photos.
Your personal LinkedIn page can connect you with businesses and other professionals. In order to effectively market your own knowledge and expertise to this audience, you need to generate an eye-catching and engaging profile page in order to stand out from your competitors. Here are some ways that video can help you do this:
- A face-to-camera video in your experience section can convey your qualifications, experience and personality all at once.
- Any presentations or talks you have given can be uploaded to show your potential audience your expertise.
- You could tailor a video for each section of your profile, giving your audience a better idea of who you are, your personality and your professional skills in an engaging and unique way.
Being able to stand out from other competitors and to get across all the information on your profile in an engaging way is really a great opportunity for your personal LinkedIn Profile.
When trying to make B2B connections, you need to put your businesses’ best foot forward. Whether you are looking to hire someone to help your business achieve it’s goals, or are looking to sell your expertise in the B2B space, video will help get attention to your Linkedin page.
If you are advertising a position within your company, a short video can help prospective team-members get a better idea of who you are looking for and the culture of your company.
You could host videos demonstrating how your services or products can help other businesses, or provide proof of your success through case study videos or testimonials.
How to do it:
Embedding videos onto your profile is easy.
- First, login to your LinkedIn profile. Then go to the “Profile Tab” and click the “Edit profile” option.
- From this page, you can edit different sections of your profile. Next to each section heading, we can see the pen icon that will allow you to change the text of that section, and right next to it is a little plus sign icon. This is the upload media button.
- Press this button and you will be taken to an area that will let you paste a link to your video, which can be on YouTube or Vimeo, or other website. Click “Save” and LinkedIn will find the content and embed it.
- It will also pull the description from wherever your video is hosted and put it automatically into your profile as well.
You also have the option to upload media straight from your computer, if you’d prefer that.
It’s that simple.
It’s rare to find this kind of potential for you to stand out online these days, especially when video has become such a major part of the online experience. Putting video content on your personal or business LinkedIn page will help you generate attention and engagement in the B2B social network.
If you have any questions about creating video content for your LinkedIn profile, contact me at Dream Engine and I’d love to help.
Ryan Spanger is one of Melbourne’s most respected and sought-after video production professionals. Ryan founded Dream Engine in 2001, and specializes in helping medium to large corporates, government departments, and the non-proﬁt sector to connect with their audience by using video.